Learning to live a life less stressful, to give our lives a more purposeful meaning, and to have some fun along the way.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Another year older and closer to my goal

As most of my readers already know, yesterday was my 49th Birthday and even though I am a year older, I don't feel any different. Outside of a few aches and pains and a lot of gray hair, I feel about the same as I did years ago. I guess the body ages but the mind remains the same, at least for some of us. I still have the same wants and needs, and like the same things, as I did when I was in my 20's, even though I have learned patience in getting them. Patience is one of the things I can attest to that gets better with age. When we are younger passion and emotion drive us far more strongly than knowledge and understanding; I am not saying that passion fades over time, just gets put into perspective with understanding.

My desire to buy a bigger boat falls into the passion vs. understanding struggle. One part of me want to sell everything I own, buy a bigger boat and sail off to warmer tropical pastures. When I was younger I would have jumped without much thought. Now that I am older, the passion is still there, but the older man experience plays in and tells me to cool my jets and think about the logistics of such an undertaking. How much money will we have after the boat is bought, equipped, and provisioned for an extended voyage. What costs do we incur in foreign ports for moorings, marina fees and taxes. What about costs to repair and maintain the boat in harsh ocean waters?All of these questions and a million more need to be asked and researched before we launch. The old man in me is asking those questions and keeping the young man in check; at least for the time being.

For now, the young man in me will dream, look at boats, and try to find a way to go as soon as possible, while the older man, studies and plans for the future, which as of yesterday, is a year closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment