Learning to live a life less stressful, to give our lives a more purposeful meaning, and to have some fun along the way.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Age

Some say that age defines us. I think you are only as old as you want to be. I have known young people who act old beyond their age and people pushing eighty that get up and dance with a glass of wine to a tune they enjoy.

Age is something that all of us must face, each year we gaze in the mirror to the changes that the last twelve months have left us. Some faces carry the deep grooves of a hard life and some do not. But that really doesn't mean that those that don't, have had it any easier, it just means that they age differently.

For me, going to bed in my forties and waking in my fifties really didn't mean much. I am still the same ole John, with the same ole drive and desires. I just have another milestone of life in my wake. I feel the same as did when I was a teenager, maybe a few more aches and pains; well, a lot more aches and pains, but none the less, the same.

I am sure that some people think I am crazy to want to retire on a boat. The fact is, I don't want to wither away sitting on the front porch watching life go by, waiting for my number to come up. If it comes up when I am pulling line on a sailboat reaching for a foreign port, then I have lived to the last moment, and wont have any regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment