Learning to live a life less stressful, to give our lives a more purposeful meaning, and to have some fun along the way.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Call me Crazy

When I tell people that I want to sell all of my worldly possessions, i.e. house, vehicles, furniture, etc.: Basically anything that won't fit into a boat, and is considered useful enough to put on said boat, they either think I am crazy or a fool. Its understandable that they think that way, after all, the ocean is a big scary place where all manor of misfortune can befall a sailor. There are storms to consider, pirates, floating debris, and large sea life, that can all end ones dream in a heartbeat. But there are also dangers on land as well, and if you're into odds, then its best to gamble on going to sea.


Outside of the obvious dangers of a life aboard, there is also the constant maintenance and repair of a boat in a marine/ salt water environment. Something is always going to need repair or replacement. I'm not really concerned by the need to repair or replace things; I have been a mechanic my whole life and have a lifetimes worth of tools collected to meet just about any challenge. Although, working on my sons Camaro has had me questioning my ability lately; no wonder GM went bankrupt; but that's another story.


My biggest fear is the fear of running out of money. Although the wind is free and travel by sail inexpensive, there are many costs that most people don't even consider. Slip fees, mooring fees, fuel, and even water in some areas are always more expensive in the marine world. Food, insurance, health insurance, phone service, are all still needed and when you have a small budget, they become a constant worry. To ease my fears I've planned for twice the amount that most live aboards are spending, so our launch date will be pushed back until we have enough saved.


You have probably seen the credit card commercials where they price this or that and then tell you what's priceless. The priceless part of this plan, for me, is to wake up and sit in the cockpit of my boat in a harbor in Greece or Turkey or any of a thousand other old places in the world that is accessable by water, and drink my coffee while watching an ancient harbor come to life, the sights and smells that have surrounded these places for thousands of years. The history that will surround me, to sit where Homer sat, or Achilles, or the Caesars. To walk the markets and taste the local fare, to sit in an open air cafe and people watch across the centuries old plazas and wonder what stories those cobble stones could tell.

For me the hassles and dangers are small in comparison to what all I might see and experience. The world is large and full of different people and cultures, foods and drink, and I want to visit them. When I was a young man in the army stationed in Germany, many fellow soldiers referred to the U.S. As the world, they said they couldnt wait until their tour was up to return to the world. Well, I have a different view. I see the world as the rest of the planet and I'm not narrow minded enough to think Americans are better than anyone else. 

For now, I will continue to save and plan and dream, and hopefully, in a few short years, Martina and I will point our bow east and never look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment