Learning to live a life less stressful, to give our lives a more purposeful meaning, and to have some fun along the way.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Why choose Sailing?

Sailing has been defined as hours of boredom infused with moments of sheer terror and for some it probably is. It is confusing and frustrating and can make a normally easy going person cuss like a sailor (I think I know how that saying came about). But sailing can also be very rewarding especially if you are someone stubborn like me and love a challenge.

The confusion comes from the miles of rope and yards of sail on a sailboat. Its like attempting to fly two huge kites sideways with puppet strings while trying not to run around or hit another boat; but with training and practice it becomes easier and eventually second nature. I am currently between cussing like a sailor and easier, LOL.

At first, nothing on the boat makes sense; to begin with, the ropes aren't called ropes, they are sheets, lines, and halyards. Terms like heel, tack, jibe, starboard, and port seem like a foreign language that other sailors assume your are fluent in. And making the boat go in the direction you want, Ha ha, that's where the cussing starts, just make sure you have plenty of Rum on board.

 I am sure by now you are wondering, and so do I from time to time, why I love sailing? To me, the answer is simple, it is in my blood. My ancestors where sailors and I feel a connection to them when I sail. I am always looking towards the horizon and want to go farther, unfortunately right now I am land locked on a inland lake. But I know, that my future will include crossing that horizon. I hope I do them proud and just maybe, someday, they will make a place for me at the feasting table.

No comments:

Post a Comment