Learning to live a life less stressful, to give our lives a more purposeful meaning, and to have some fun along the way.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

End of the Season



 


With a chill in the air and morning dew laying heavy on the grass, all we can do is pull our jackets tighter around our necks and prepare for the coming winter. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year, with cooler days and fresh breezes,  the leaves turning color on the trees. It is a time to reflect on the ending year, to celebrate the harvest. A time when hunters fill the woods and the primal call to hunt give us an unbreakable link to our ancestors. The only down side for me is the end of the sailing season and unfortunately, pulling the boat out of the water


This coming weekend may be the last day to sail before the season comes to an end. The weather forecast is predicting winds around 5 to 7 mph and temperatures in the 50's; Jacket weather and light winds, but a solid day for a long lasting sail. I can already imagine myself behind the wheel, feeling the cool wind bite against my face, a warm drink in my hand, drawing as much satisfaction as I can from the end of season sail.

I have a lot of plans for my boat over the winter, weather permitting of course. I want to change my sail bag and Bimini covers: They are red right now, but we prefer blue. I also want to upgrade the plumbing and install lazy jacks for the main sail. After all the maintenance and upgrades are done and after her long winter sleep we should be able to launch and sail without delay in the spring. I just have to wait 4 long months until I am back in water.

Martina and I have learned a lot in the past year and our sailing skill has definitely improved. So, with several years to go, a live a board boat to buy and outfit, by the time we are ready to take to the sea we should be well skilled sailors.Over the winter the sailboat show comes to Chicago and we will almost certainly attend. We love Chicago, especially the food, and it gives us a chance to see larger boats up close and get a feel for how well we could live aboard one.

As sad as it is for me to see this season come to an end, I have next season to look forward to and that gives me something to smile about. So, for now, we will warm our spiced rum or spike our coffee and enjoy the camaraderie of the marina yacht club members who all sit and talk and wish the cold weather was already behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment