Learning to live a life less stressful, to give our lives a more purposeful meaning, and to have some fun along the way.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Lost overboard

Its funny to read blogs about things lost over the side of a boat while on the water. I have read about hearing aids and false teeth (which is the funniest, I think) being dropped over board. The items dropped  most often are tools, I am included in that category, so its not surprising that my car key ended up in the lake this past weekend.

My son being a playful teenager was, you guessed it, playing with my key on his way to get something from the car. While playing with said key, it launched itself out of his hand and dove in the water several feet from the dock. It was an accident and I wasn't too harsh on him, because he displayed the right amount of remorse right away, and I think he was a little shocked that he lost it too.

I drive an Audi, which uses a laser cut key/remote entry fob combo. If I didn't work in the automotive industry it would have set me back a couple hundred dollars to replace and program it. But luckily I have a friend that I used to work with that manages a local Audi service department and he helped me out. It still set me back, just not as bad as it could have been.

People often get mad or even irate when things like this happen; I was one of those people. But as we get older, these "little things" roll off our shoulders a little easier and we figure "what the hell, shit happens". What is important is that we were at the lake together as a family and enjoying each others company and I didn't let this accident spoil the moment.

The only casualty is this boo-boo was my sons savings account ;yes, I made him pay for his mistake, but he is young and has plenty of time to earn it back. Its one of those life lessons that he will remember and so will dad, that's why we are buying a floating key chain for the key.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure that a floating key chain will help much. I think that those fobs don't work if they get water damaged, do they?

    Deb
    S/V Kintala
    www.theretirementproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete